As the weather warms and the days get longer, the pull of Raglan only gets stronger. What are some of our favourite past-times as locals? We have listed 5 things to do in Raglan this October for you to tick off the bucket list. Enjoy!
1 ) Hike Mount Karioi
Mount Karioi is an Ancient Volcano and the sacred mountain for the local people, she lays between the Whaingaroa (Raglan) and Aotea harbours. Known by many as The Sleeping Lady due to her silhouette farm particular angels, Karioi is very much an icon of Raglan and provides us with shelter from southwesterly winds and perfectly wrapping waves as swell lines bend around her lava flow shorelines.
Climbing Karioi is a perfect mission that will imprint memories with every stunning vista. There are two tracks to take to the Summit. We recommend the Mt Karioi Track beginning at Te Toto Gorge as it is the most scenic and is closest to Solscape. This is an advanced track with exposed and steep areas, as well as chains to assist ascent in some parts. But the view from the Summit is well worth the hike!
Getting there: This track starts at Te Toto Gorge, about 8km from Solscape. (the last 4 km of Whaanga Road is unsealed)
Time to summit: 4hr – 4hr 30min return trip
Tips before you go:
- Choose a clear day to ensure you get the best views and hiking conditions.
- Take plenty of water and snacks to keep you going.
- Pack cold weather gear, a hat and sunscreen as the track is exposed in areas and weather conditions can change quickly.
2) Get your taste of Raglan Art
The local artisan scene is very vibrant in Raglan and we are lucky to have so many talented artists in our quirky little town. Take an afternoon to browse the many galleries … you never know the perfect piece for your place might be waiting for you?
From paintings to pottery and boutique clothing designers, Raglan has got it all!
Explore the Raglan Creative market held at the Old School Arts Centre on Sunday 9th October where you will find an array of amazing local foods and treasures.
In town you can find many beautiful art galleries such as Jet and Matapihi. Or venture to some artist’s own studios?
Here are a few of our favourites
- Chis Meek (Panel and Paint) Chris works with a lot of recycled materials from old car bonnets to old magazine clippings. You can find his work at his gallery on Cross street.
- Jwan Milek (Photographer) Specializing in surf, scenic, commercial, portrait and wedding photography you can find Jwan’s work at The Raglan Photo Gallery on Wainui Road in Raglan West.
- Tony Sly (Pottery) His beautiful collection of hand-made pottery can be found at his shop at the Raglan Wharf, you may have seen a few of his pieces in our Eco Baches.
3) Get out in the Ocean
Get ready for summer by getting your ‘Surf On’!
Slipping on a wetsuit and getting in the ocean makes you feel alive. Whether surfing is something new to you or if it’s one of your favourite past-times, the warmer weather makes playing in the waves a must do this October!
We offer surf lessons for every level and ability with world class instructors, to help you achieve your surfing goals!
Or hire a board and wetsuit? Solscape is in the perfect location for getting to Raglan’s surf breaks. We are just a short scenic bush walk from the Beach and overlooking the world famous Manu Bay.
4) Find the perfect Sunset Spot
Being on the West-Coast, Raglan almost always puts on a spectacular show at sun-down. With the days getting longer, the opportunity to see the sky light up gets a whole lot easier. The sun will be setting between 7:30pm and 8pm this October so find yourself a cosy spot to witness the magic.
For the romantics, perhaps a picnic at the top of the beach at Wainui Reserve, fish & chips at the Wharf, or a lovely walk on the beach?
And for the more adventurous types, explore the top look-out at Te Toto Gorge, watch the waves roll in from Whale Bay or sitting on your surfboard at Manu Bay?
5) Take a yoga class
Raglan is fast, becoming a yoga orientated community. We just can’t get enough! Yoga can be something to get you through every day struggles, keeping you grounded by focusing on body awareness and breathing. Stretch and strengthen your body as you take your yoga practice to the next level.
Solscape is home to the Raglan Yoga Center which holds many yoga classes weekly. Join us on the mat as we take that journey to bliss. Here is this month’s schedule:
- Led Beginner Astanga with Dee – 5.30pm
- Kriya Kundalini Yoga with Venu Krishna Das – 8 am
- Restore with Dee – 5.30pm
- Rasa Asana with Venu Krishna Das – 9 am
Or you could even sign up for a yoga retreat with Premaloka from 28th-30th October?
Contact our friendly staff for any more info or tips to make your Raglan experience unforgettable.